Wednesday, February 24, 2010

.to each their own... 'good' design.

i love walking into a space and having that jaw-dropping moment only a designer may have. seeing a beautiful hand crafted inlaid wood table, or a stunning mirrored nightstand (I will own one some day.. even if I have to make it myself!), reclaimed wood timber flooring, an oversized grouping of lighting fixtures, or shimmering glass subway tile. a few (from a long, LONG list) of my favorite designers who i think represent an idea of 'good' design are celerie kemble, ryan korban, kelly wearstler, and kara mann.

everyone has their own idea of good design. i believe ‘good’ lasting design is an eclectic mix where inexpensive flea market finds and worn family heirlooms can coexist with contemporary architecture, timeless barcelona chairs or fine persian rugs; where rustic pieces live next to contemporary furnishings. i believe in incorporating multiple textures and patterns into a space with simple classic roots. my favorite design theory is one i learned in design school. we had a corporate design studio course in college where we studied a Japanese design concept called ‘wabi sabi.’ this concept focuses on the beauty of imperfection, rustic simplicity, modesty, and authenticity of unique beauty which results in spaces that are interesting, unexpected and one of a kind. i will one day design a home around this idea!

here are a few of my favorite found spaces. if only i had my own clients to show you my true idea of good design ;) enjoy!

xo






             


   


No comments:

Post a Comment